A library for crafting native audio plugins as simply as possible.
To use this package, put the following dependency into your project's dependencies section:
<img alt="logo" src="https://cdn.rawgit.com/AuburnSounds/dplug/master/logo.svg" width="200">
Dplug <a href="https://code.dlang.org/packages/dplug" title="Go to dplug"><img src="https://img.shields.io/dub/v/dplug.svg" alt="Dub version"></a>
Dplug is a library for creating audio plug-ins as simply as possible.
- Create VST 2.4 plug-ins for Windows, macOS, and Linux, for 32-bit and 64-bit IMPORTANT To distribute VST2 plug-ins be sure to sign a VST2 Licence Agreement with Steinberg before October 2018.
- Create Audio Unit v2 plug-ins for Mac OS X, 32-bit and 64-bit
- Create AAX Native plug-ins for Windows and Mac OS X, 64-bit only
- Includes fundamental music DSP algorithms
- Tools to make your plug-in authoring faster (bundling, color correction, regression tests, performance tests)
- Build small binaries with (optional) rendering
- Support many DAWs
- Vibrant community
Community and ecosystem
These products leverage Dplug:
- Couture by Auburn Sounds
- Entropy by Cut Through Recordings
- Graillon by Auburn Sounds
- M4 Multiband Compressor by Cut Through Recordings
- Panagement by Auburn Sounds
- Tarabia Distortion by SMAOLAB
Increase quality and reduce time-to-market with commercial audio DSP in the DSP Asset Store.
Keep up with major changes here: Release Notes
Does Dplug support the creation of synthesizer plug-ins?
Am I forced to use the PBR rendering system?
No. You can make plug-ins with Dplug without using PBR. How it works is that the physical channel is just filled with 0. Doing that requires a set of custom widgets, which you can find in
What is the oldest supported Windows version?
Windows Vista. Windows XP isn't officially supported by D compilers.
What is the oldest supported OS X version?
OS X 10.8+.
What D compiler can possibly be used?
.travis.yml for supported compilers. The latest DMD or LDC should do.
What D compilers are recommended?
For releases it is highly recommended that you use LDC >= 1.8. When in development you can use DMD for faster compilation times.
Is Dplug stable?
Dplug has excellent stability.
Dplug documents its breaking changes in the Changelog and issues major SemVer tags for breaking changes.
If you don't want breaking changes, you can pin Dplug to a major version in your
But reality is complex, and bug fixes can be breaking too, (eg: "highpass FIR wasn't working"). In which case we have to make a judgment call as to whether it's a breaking fix, and whether the buggy feature was used.
Breaking commits, when they happen, are marked with BREAKING in the commit backlog. They are discussed on Discord to assess the impact.
Will you add feature X?
You have to understand that Dplug is a part-time operation, from people who spend much more time working on and releasing plug-ins.
Dplug is there to support existing products and building commercial companies around them, not to be beta software and make empty promises. Being stable and bug-free is much more important to us than implement every possible feature.
Politically, it's very often than enhancements get postponed in favour of product development, so please be patient!
We're looking for ways to improve governance as more contributors have appeared with contrasted agendas.
Where do I start?
Be sure to read the Wiki in depth.
Strength and weaknesses of Dplug
- As lightweight as possible
- Public bugtracker
- Maintained continuously
- Price is free however don't expect personal support
- Plugin parameters implement the Observer pattern.
- Float parameters can have user-defined mapping.
- PBR-style rendering lets you have a good visual quality with less disk space.
- No need to deal with resource compilers: D can
- No need to maintain IDE project files, they are generated by DUB.
dub generate visualdor
dub generate sublimetext
- No need to make Info.plist files, they are generated by
- No need to use Xcode whatsoever.
- No need to use a macOS SDK.
- Easy to install: DUB will download the library itself when building, and it's a small archive.
- less complexity than the larger alternatives.
- VST3 not yet implemented
- No resizeable UI
- No HDPI support
- No modal windows
Dplug has different licenses depending on the sub-package you need. Please check individual source files for license information. Please respect the individual licences when releasing a plug-in.
Plugin format wrapping
Plugin wrapping is inspired by the WDL library (best represented here: https://github.com/olilarkin/wdl-ol).
Some files falls under the Cockos WDL license.
Important contributors to WDL include:
- Cockos: http://www.cockos.com/
- Oliver Larkin: http://www.olilarkin.co.uk/
VST SDK translation
VST is a trademark of Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH. Please register the SDK via the 3rd party developer license on Steinberg site.
Before you make VST plugins with Dplug, you need to read and agree with the license for the VST3 SDK by Steinberg.
If you don't have the VST2 SDK, you can't make plugins with Dplug. Find the VST SDK there: http://www.steinberg.net/en/company/developers.html
If you don't have a licensing agreement with Steinberg, you can't distribute VST2 or VST3 plug-ins.
Other source files fall under the Boost 1.0 license.
Contents of the tree
Abstract plugin client interface. Currently implemented for VST and AU.
Abstract plugin host interface. Basic support for VST hosting.
VST 2.4 plugin client implementation
Audio Unit v2 plugin client implementation
implements windowing for Win32, X11, Cocoa and Carbon
- Needed for plugins that do have an UI
- Toolkit includes common widgets (knob, slider, switch, logo, level, label...)
- Physically Based Renderer for a fully procedural UI
- Basic support for audio processing:
- Real and Complex FFT, windowing functions (STFT with overlap and zero-phase windowing)
- FIR, 1st order IIR filters and RBJ biquads
- mipmapped wavetables for antialiased oscillators
- noise generation including white/pink/demo noise
- various kinds of smoothers and envelopes
- delay-line and interpolation
Dynamic Carbon bindings
Dynamic Cocoa bindings
Static X11 bindings
dplug-aax (external repositery, see Wiki)
AAX Native and AAX AudioSuite plugin client implementation
- Registered by ponce
- 7.1.2 released 22 hours ago
- Sub packages:
- dplug:core, dplug:dsp, dplug:client, dplug:graphics, dplug:host, dplug:vst, dplug:au, dplug:window, dplug:gui, dplug:pbr-widgets, dplug:flat-widgets, dplug:cocoa, dplug:carbon, dplug:x11
- dplug:dsp, dplug:client, dplug:host, dplug:core, dplug:x11, dplug:gui, dplug:pbr-widgets, dplug:vst, dplug:cocoa, dplug:flat-widgets, dplug:window, dplug:carbon, dplug:graphics, dplug:au
7.1.2 2018-Sep-18 7.1.1 2018-Sep-17 7.1.0 2018-Sep-17 7.0.12 2018-Sep-05 7.0.11 2018-Sep-02
- Download Stats:
5 downloads today
34 downloads this week
52 downloads this month
2504 downloads total
- Short URL: