Audio plugins framework. VST client + host, AU client, UI widgets.
To use this package, run the following command in your project's root directory:
Put the following dependency into your project's dependences section:
<img alt="logo" src="https://cdn.rawgit.com/p0nce/dplug/master/logo.svg" width="200">
dplug is a library for creating audio plugins. Additionally it comes with music DSP algorithms that might be useful for your next-generation MS converter plugin. Currently support VST 2.x plugins on Windows and Mac OS X, 32-bit and 64-bit.
- Abstract plugin client interface. Currently implemented once for VST.
- Abstract plugin host interface. Currently implemented once for VST.
- VST SDK D bindings
- VST plugin client
- implements windowing for Win32, Cocoa and Carbon
- Needed for plugins that do have an UI
- Toolkit includes common widgets (knob/slider/switch/logo/label)
- PBR-based renderer for a fully procedural UI (updates are lazy and parallel)
- Basic support for audio processing:
- FFT and windowing functions (include STFT with tunable overlap and zero-phase windowing)
- FIR and RJB biquads (no higher order IIR sorry)
- mipmapped wavetables for antialiased oscillators
- noise generation including white/pink/demo noise
- various kinds of smoothers and envelopes
- delay-line and interpolation
examples/distort: mandatory distortion plugin
examples/time_stretch: resampling x2 through FFT zero-padding
examples/just_windowing: test program for the windowing sub-package
tools/pbr-sketch: workspace for creating plugin background textures
tools/release: DUB frontend to build Mac bundles and use LDC with proper envvars
tools/ldvst: small plugin host for testing loading, in D
tools/process: test plugin host for testing audio processing speed/reproducibility, in D
tools/ldvst-cpp: test plugin host for testing loading, in C++
tools/wav-compare: comparison of WAV files
How to build plugins
- Use the DMD >= 2.067 compiler on Windows and/or the LDC >= 0.16.0 compiler for Mac 64-bit: http://dlang.org/download.html
- Install DUB, the D package manager: http://code.dlang.org/download
- Compiling for Mac or with LDC? Use my DUB branch instead: https://github.com/p0nce/dub/tree/issue-635-bis
- go in the
dub --compiler=ldc2depending on the platform
dplug has three different licenses depending on the part you need. For an audio plugin, you would typically need all three. I recommend that you check individual source files for license information.
Plugin format wrapping
Plugin wrapping is heavily inspired by the WDL library (best represented here: https://github.com/olilarkin/wdl-ol).
Some files falls under the Cockos WDL license.
Important contributors to WDL include:
- Cockos: http://www.cockos.com/
- Oliver Larkin: http://www.olilarkin.co.uk/
However dplug is far from a translation of WDL:
- no plugin-wide mutex lock. All locks are of a short duration.
- plugin parameters implement the Observer pattern
- no need to use Xcode whatsoever
- float parameters can have user-defined mapping
- PBR-style rendering lets you have a good visual quality with less disk space, at the cost of more work
- no need to deal with resource compilers: D can
- less battle-tested in general
- hipster compilers are used
- API may change without notice (pin the version of dplug you use)
- AU, AAX and VST3 unimplemented
- no resizeable UI
- no HDPI support
VST SDK translation
This sub-package falls under the Steinberg VST license.
VST is a trademark of Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH. Please register the SDK via the 3rd party developper license on Steinberg site.
Before you make VST plugins with dplug, you need to read and agree with the license for the VST3 SDK by Steinberg. If you don't agree with the license, don't make plugins with dplug. Find the VST3 SDK there: http://www.steinberg.net/en/company/developers.html
Other source files fall under the Boost 1.0 license.
- What is the minimum Windows version supported?
- What is the minimum OSX version supported?
Mac OS X 10.7+ Probably possible to go below, to do that modify the "release" tool.
What D compiler should I use?
DMD >= 2.067
LDC >= 0.16.0
Is dplug stable?
No. The interface tend to change especially in dplug:dsp. Pin the version you use using DUB version specifications.
- this is the next release, and API will break without notice
- supports VST for 32-bit and 64-bit, Windows and Mac
releasetool now expects a VST or AU configuration, see the
distortexample for details
CFBundleIdentifierPrefix, see how
distortworks to update your plugins dub.json
- 10.6 compatibility dropped.
- initial release, VST support for 32-bit and 64-bit, Windows and Mac
- Registered by ponce
- 2.0.39 released 7 years ago
- Sub packages:
- dplug:core, dplug:dsp, dplug:client, dplug:host, dplug:vst, dplug:au, dplug:window, dplug:gui
13.4.6 2023-Jan-30 13.4.5 2023-Jan-17 13.4.4 2023-Jan-16 13.4.3 2023-Jan-16 13.4.2 2023-Jan-14
- Download Stats:
25 downloads today
177 downloads this week
958 downloads this month
17815 downloads total
- Short URL: